Sunday, February 17, 2008

The "Whiskers" in my life.

Growing up in my family, well let's just say not everything was , rosie. So, I brought some insecurities into my grown up life....like most people.
When my daughter was 8 and my son, 4, we went to a craft show at West Catholic High School. There, I found the sweetest homemade bunnie. I purchased him and named him Whiskers. He had no whiskers on his face, so hence the name Whiskers. He went everywhere with me. He was in fact, my security bunnie. He slept with me everynight. I held him under his front paws all the time. He had NO stuffing left where I held him! It all moved down to him bottom. People would laugh at Whiskers, but to me he was just very muched loved. I had to restuff him many times. He was truely a sorce of comfort to me and my insecurities.
Once I went to camp for a week to be "bunnymom" to all the conselor's children. I had forgotten Whiskers at home and was very upset. My wonderful husband sent him to me at camp and put airholes in the box. :)
Whiskers traveled with me to Europe and gave me the courage to go to the top of the Eifle Tower. I cried on the way up, but I did it and have a picture of me and Whiskers at the top! On another trip to Europe, Whiskers jumped off my lap in my Swiss daughter's car on the way to the airport. When I realized he was gone, I cried. I cried an awefully lot on the trip home. My Swiss(exchange student) daughter called to let me know he was safe. That week I got a box with "air holes" in it. Whiskers was safely inside with a blanket and mazipan carrots! People who knew me and loved me knew how important Whiskers was to me.
My son (Sam) was in the Air Force and my family went to San Antonio, Texas to watch him graduate. The trip was great but sadly, on the way back home, Whiskers was lost. It was so hard to accept it. We called different airports and air lines and never found him.
I always thought that I would never survive without that little bunnie, that he would be with me in my coffin. What I learned by losing Whisker's is this. Whiskers was there through all the really bad and difficult times when I really needed him the most. He never let me down. But by losing him I realized that I was holding on too tightly and I needed to trust the One who can really hold me in His loving arms and protect me. The One who said,"I'm am with you always, even to the ends of the earth." Matt28:20. I was putting Whiskers before God.
I'm not saying that I never needed him. I believe that God gave him to me because he was what I needed at that time. I carried that sweet little bunnie, Whiskers around with me for 16 years. He was worn and torn and was missing stuffing and he was the best bunnie and friend ever. He was always there when I needed him. I thank God for Whiskers and the security he gave me.
This is why my blog is named Whiskers'Memories.....everyone of my memories of Whiskers, make me smile. He helped me through some very bad times. Thanks Whiskers!

11 comments:

the dragonfly said...

He was a good little bunny. I like to think some little girl or boy found him, that he has another happy home now.

Family Adventure said...

Maybe, at that point, another person needed Whiskers more? What a lovely story, and a great way to kick off your new blog!

Nice to "meet" you.

Heidi

PS: Your little grandson is an absolute darling...he just keeps getting cuter. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be so far away from him -- thank goodness for the Internet and the blogosphere; at least you get to see brand new pictures all the time :)

amanda said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. Whiskers sounds uncannily like Teddy Bear and Monkey. Teddy Bear has gone on many a trip to give me a boost of confidence. I too have since learned to go on without him but he still sits on my bed (when it is made).

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

Welcome to the blogging world. I love your story about Whiskers and almost cried when I realized you hadn't found him on that last trip home. I would like to think he is helping someone else. I still have Lambie from when I was a child - he has no fur, no ears, and no eyes and tons and tons of stitches from all his patch ups.

Maddy said...

Hello! Welcome and well done you.
Best wishes

Anonymous said...

Just stopping in from the dragonfly's site. Welcome to blog-world!!

KG said...

Welcome to blogging! I read your daughter's blog and just stopped in to say "hi!"

Amy Y said...

Welcome, Mama!
I'm a fan of your daughter and grandson's. Well done, you, they are spectacular ~ no doubt in part because of your influence!

Kellan said...

I loved hearing about Whiskers - such a sweet story.

So nice to meet you. I have become good friends with your daughter and so love visiting her and her family. I used to live in Germany and that makes me feel like I have a bit in common with her.

I hope you enjoy your blog - come by and see me sometime - take care. Kellan

Cyndi said...

Welcome to blog-land!

I read a book about this not very long ago to my daughter. A little boy looses his bear and when he finally finds him he realizes that the man that found him needed him too, so he let him keep him. It was a sweet story. I hope your bunny is someone elses security bunny now.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story! And if Whiskers can provide that level of comfort to you, I can only imagine how much comfort your spirituality brings you as well. Lovely.